It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hello! Help with Doctorate Research Project?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:18 am 
Finding My Sea Legs

Hello all!

I am currently doing a research project in the area of eating disorders and I would like to post some information on here about it. However, which Mod should I contact to ask if this is ok? There seems to be quite a few and I'm not sure where to start..!

Post subject: Re: Hello! Help with Doctorate Research Project?
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:32 am 
Marvellous Mod

Inflexibility wrote:
Hello all!

I am currently doing a research project in the area of eating disorders and I would like to post some information on here about it. However, which Mod should I contact to ask if this is ok? There seems to be quite a few and I'm not sure where to start..!

Hiya! Welcome to the boat!

Thanks for asking before posting, not many people do. Haha I never thought of that I guess it is a bit confusing there being so many of us but honestly you can PM any of us about it :). If you just send us a message with some details, proof of your ethics approval and perhaps a link then we can test it out then I'm sure we'll be more than happy to approve it for you so long as it's not triggering or negative.

"It's very hard in the beginning to understand that the whole idea is not to beat the other runners. Eventually you learn that the competition is against the little voice inside of you that wants you to quit."

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:10 pm 
Finding My Sea Legs

Hello again,
I sent a PM with the information but haven't heard anything yet...is the final verdict a "jump aboard" (yes) or "walk the plank" (no) :-)

Best Wishes

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:27 am 
Awesome Admin

Hey! I think you PM'd Eleanor, and she's really busy with exams at the moment. If it's urgent, best to PM another mod, but if not I'm sure she'll get back to you as soon as she can..

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:29 pm 
Awesome Admin

heya ive had a read of what you sent through and am happy to take the survey. is there a link to it?

my photos

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:29 am 
Finding My Sea Legs

Hi Serra,

Thanks! Shall I create a new post with my survey information on there? This is my advertisement (as I am looking for particular people)

As part of my doctorate qualification in clinical psychology, I am investigating what background factors may be associated with how people with an eating disorder and/or eating concerns manage their emotions and the amount of psychological distress they experience. It is hoped that the knowledge gained from this study will help to develop our understanding of how best to support and help people with eating disorders and mental health difficulties in the future.

Can you help?
I’m looking for males and females aged 16 and over to take part and this will involve you filling in some questionnaires online.

• Do you have some concerns about your eating?
• Do you have a diagnosis of an eating disorder now?
• Have you had a diagnosis of an eating disorder in the past?

If you answered YES to any of the above then please continue reading as you are suitable to take part!

Interested?
Taking part in this study will involve you clicking the following link: http://sdu-surveys.herts.ac.uk/psycholo ... ibility-2/ and answering a series of questionnaires once. Then that’s it, all done..! If you would like to take part, then please click the link to get started.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any further questions then please click the above link to read the information sheet (which contains more information) or contact me.

This study was reviewed by University of Hertfordshire (UK) Research Ethics Committee and was given ethical approval on April 2013 (protocol number aLMS/PG/UH/00022)

The study can also be found on my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Psycholo ... 635?ref=hl

If for whatever reason you are not happy with the study (because I cannot gaurentee that no-one will find it triggering or negative as everyone is different) after taking part, then please do feel free to delete this post. Potential triggers include some questions about current/past weight and some questions about early childhood experiences.

Last edited by Inflexibility on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:18 pm 
Awesome Admin

heya ok ive started filling it out though i have to go to work so will finish after

i have some feedback though...

not everyone will have an actual diagnoses for mental illness, due to the country they live in having crap services, or having not sought help or having access to help etc

asking for info on current weight, highest weight, lowest weight etc wont give any accurate info on eating disorders. many people with anorexia have never even been underweight for example. some of the people who have died or been the most unwell (however that is measured) could be at a 'normal' weight or even a higher weight. there may also be objections to providing weight information. though there may not be objection who knows, just a heads up it is a very sensitive area and really doesnt indicate much...

also i hit the conversion thing when trying to answer my weight in kg, and it says 1kg is 2 pounds however that isnt accurate.l..

there is a lot of focus on weights

you ask if people have ever been diagnosed with an ED and give a check box thing for answers but it doesnt let you select more than one ED. people will be diagnosed most likely with more than one

ok i got to question 21 and the questions made me uncomfortable and i couldnt skip them so i wont go any further. i did find it rather a hard one to fill out, triggering. i dont feel like there is a lot of insight into how one with an ED (even a person far in recovery like me) will think etc. if you would like feedback on perhaps how it could be reworded please ask. i think there is far too much direct focus on things that we have been way over preoccupied on ourselves and desperately try to not be focussed on as we need to let go of the focus in order to recover

my photos

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:15 pm 
Finding My Sea Legs

Serra, I will PM you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:56 pm 
Made It Through The Storm

Hm... I might consider taking part but because I strongly feel weight is hardly of importance if you want to find out the emotions behind an ED I will not...
At the time I was in hospital I weighed barely 5 pounds more than 'anorexic' and was therefore refused the treatment I needed - so I really do oppose the weight-factor.

Still, I wish you luck with your research and hope something good will come out of it!!!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]