It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pea Protein
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:02 am 
Keeps The Boat Going

Hey has anyone ever heard of pea protein. I'm getting it in a powder so I can make shakes with it. I'm trying to find other forms of it. My doctor told me to get it then drink shakes 2x a day plus meals but I feel overwhelmed with it being so much. I'm thinking if it didn't have to be in a shake is there other ways to get this protein in.

[color=#8000FF]My Recovery Tumblr Blog
inkthatispink.tumblr.com ]

Post subject: Re: Pea Protein
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:09 pm 
Awesome Admin

I haven't tried pea protein, although my brother has and he said he didn't like it. He's fussy though, and he probably drank it neat, so I wouldn't let that put me off. I have soy protein every day in a breakfast smoothie. In France I can get a soy protein that tastes ok, blended with almond milk it tastes like chocolate or vanilla milkshake (depending on what flavour you get). The soy protein I've got here in the UK doesn't taste nearly as nice (doesn't have as many chemicals.... which I suppose is a good thing) but mixed with other stuff it's fine. Here's what I have every morning:

100g frozen spinach (I like it frozen as opposed to fresh now, it goes like an iced slushy)
1 cup almond milk
1 banana (the more ripe the better)
1tsp vanilla essence
1 scoop protein powder

I used to put 1 tbsp chia or flax seeds in too, but I had to take that out as I recently found I was getting too much fibre and it was playing havoc with my digestion.

And that's my breakfast! It's lurid green and people who see me drink it will comment on how disgusting it looks every sodding time, but it actually tastes pretty good. Can't taste the spinach or the protein, it just tastes like a banana slushy. Nommers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:18 pm 
Awesome Admin

Oh yeah, and of course if you want to try something other than shakes and smoothies, you can bake with it. Here are a few other things I do with protein powder:

High Protein Chocolate Carob Pumpkin Pudding Scroll down for the recipe. I use cocoa powder instead of carob, and if you've got plain protein powder instead of chocolate, just add extra cocoa. It's nice drizzled with maple syrup or agave.

Fudge Brownie Protein Bars I can confirm that these are delicious. I have to put some almond milk into the batter though, as I found the direct recipe to be a little dry.

Peanut Butter Protein Bars Haven't made these yet but I plan to soon! I'll have to use almond butter as I'm allergic to peanut.

So there's some ideas! The lady in GNC also said you can add scoops of plain flavour protein powder to casseroles and soups and things too. Experiment!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:36 pm 
Keeps The Boat Going

Thanks for the recipes? So does the soy protein have any whey ingredients in it? I was curious I don't know much about it.

I grew up on a farm and things use to be all natural. The government pushes a lot of farmer's to use chemicals they don't want to. There's so much crap in our food here. I sometimes wish I lived somewhere that didn't have all the stuff in it. THing is we also get a lot of our processed food from other countries. things made in China don't have warnings like FDA bans on stuff here so I don't know. There's a big push right now for non GMO foods.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:27 am 
Awesome Admin

No no, definitely no whey. I'm vegan, I won't eat whey!

Hemp protein is supposed to be good too. The reason I went with soy is because it's cheaper and has more protein per 100g. I will try hemp next time though I think!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:41 pm 
Keeps The Boat Going

my doctor also talked about the hemp protein I thought about it.. willing to do anything I need to do possible to get nutrients in at this point.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]